Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Southern Living Bush's Chicken and Rice Casserole

Original Recipe

* 1 (8.8-oz.) pouch ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice mix (I used Uncle Ben's)
* 1 (15.8-oz.) can BUSH'S Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
* 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used a Rotisserie chicken~YUM)
* 1 cup milk
* 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 1 cup freshly shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
* Garnish: fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs


1. Preheat oven to 425°. Prepare rice according to package directions.

2. Stir together beans, next 5 ingredients, and rice in a large bowl. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs.

3. Bake at 425° for 15 to 18 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

**TIP** Pick-up a deli rotisserie chicken for a time-saving step. One 2-pound chicken equals approximately 3 cups chopped.

*I know, your probably thinking "beans, in a chicken and rice casserole"....my thoughts exactly, but I thought I would give it a try and it was SO GOOD!!! My husband would even agree and he is a VERY picky eater...don't get me wrong, he did double take when he saw the beans in the casserole and was hesitant to taste, but he too thought it was GREAT!!! I promise you won't be disappointed! PS: This is a great recipe to make half and freeze the other half for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment