Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bran Muffins

3 ¼ cups plain bran flakes (I use Wal-Mart great value brand)
1 ½ cups of Splenda
2 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups low fat buttermilk

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately. Then combine all ingredients together and refrigerate for about 3 hrs. This allows the bran flakes to soften. **I let mine sit overnight and they turned out just fine!

Bake 400* for 15-18 minutes and enjoy.

For an even healthier muffin, you can substitute ¾ cups ground flax seed. Only use 1 3/4 cups flour and 3/4 cups ground flax seed.

I know.....your probably thinking.....BRAN???....Gag!!! My thoughts exactly too.....AT FIRST......then I made these little treasures and I was PLEASANTLY surprised at how GREAT THEY WERE!!! Seriously one of the best bran muffins I have ever eaten!! I recommend serving with butter and strawberry jelly:) Enjoy!!!

**This recipe came from a friend of mine at church, Amanda Harris, who is a FABULOUS cook!! She also caters!! So if you are ever in need of a caterer, I HIGHLY recommend her!!!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Those sound great! I think my "bran needing" (if you know what I mean)little boy would greatly appreciate a nibble of those :)

    ReplyDelete