3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flaked coconut
1 baked pie crust
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sifted powder sugar
Garnish: toasted flaked coconut
* Start with a pie crust, and bake it in the oven. I used two: one for the base, and part of a second one for the pretty crust.
* Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy saucepan; gradually stir in milk.
* Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Cook 1 minute. Beat egg yolks; gradually stir about one-fourth of egg mixture to your hot mixture; add remaining eggs to hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until temperature reaches 160, or a nice thick consistency.
* Remove from heat; stir in butter, vanilla, and 1 cup flaked coconut. Pour into pastry shell.
* Cool completely. Cover and chill 1-2 hours.
* Toast the bigger coconut flakes, if you like. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixture until foamy, gradually add powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form. Spread into cooled pie crust. Top with the toasted coconut.
Total Time: 40 minutes, plus chill time
Serves: 8 slices
**Seriously, this stuff was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!! I have never really been a huge fan of coconut creme pie, but this one has WON ME OVER!!! It was a HUGE hit at our house! Enjoy!